Astigmatism Diagnosis and Treatment with Our Seattle Optometrist Team
Astigmatism is a common cause of impaired vision that affects millions of Americans. At SPEX Eye Care, with two locations serving Seattle and Bellevue, our optometrist team meets people every day with this condition. We help our patients find the most effective, affordable, and sustainable astigmatism treatment options so they can interact with the world as clearly as possible.
Astigmatism: What It Is and What Causes It
Astigmatism occurs when your eyeball, lens, or cornea (the clear tissue over the colored iris on the front of your eye) is misshapen, which can disrupt the way light normally refracts (bends) into the eye. This may prevent light from focusing properly on the retina inside your eye, and therefore may lead to blurry vision.
It's not always clear what causes astigmatism and why certain people have it and others don't. You may be more at risk for astigmatism if you have a family history of the condition, a history of eye surgery or eye injury, or certain other eye health conditions like severe nearsightedness, severe farsightedness, or corneal disorders.
Astigmatism Signs and Symptoms
Very mild forms of astigmatism will have no signs or symptoms. If symptoms do develop, a person may notice blurry vision when looking at near and far distances, headaches, eye strain, and poor night vision. These symptoms can be present from childhood or may develop later on in life.
How Our Seattle Optometrist Treats Astigmatism
Not everyone with astigmatism will need intervention from an optometrist, or if they do, they may only need it later in life as their condition changes and age-related factors come into play. If your vision is being affected by astigmatism, our Bellevue and Seattle optometrist team can help by providing several interventions:
- Corrective eyewear, including prescription glasses and contact lenses, can optimize the way light enters the eye so you can see better at near and far distances
- Orthokeratology (contact lenses worn at night to temporarily reshape the corneas and improve uncorrected daytime vision)
- Pre-operative consultations and post-operative follow-ups for laser eye surgery like LASIK—our peri-operative care is essential for helping you determine if you're a good candidate for LASIK and maximizing your outcomes if you do undergo the procedure
- Patient education including lifestyle tips on how to maximize your eye health and compensate for vision loss
Could Your Vision Problems Be Caused by Astigmatism?
If you're having trouble seeing and would like some more insight, contact SPEX Eye Care in Seattle and Bellevue to connect with an experienced eye doctor today.
- Seattle optometry clinic: 206-682-9515
- Bellevue optometry clinic: 425-747-3937