Dry Eye Treatment from SPEX in Seattle and Bellevue
Tears are vital to the health of your eyes and for the clarity of your vision. They are also a necessity for comfort – something you probably realize better than most if you are suffering from dry eyes. Fortunately, we can help. At SPEX in Seattle and Bellevue we offer dry eye treatments that can help you feel better and see better as well.
What is Dry Eyes?
Every time you blink your eyes are supposed to be covered with a new layer of tears to keep them moist. If you have dry eye, you do not get the full benefit of this process. You may have trouble seeing clearly, be prone to more eye infections, and struggle with getting matter in your eyes.
Here are the two main issues that can lead to dry eye symptoms:
Poor Quality Tears
Tears may look like just water, but they are actually made up of three different components. Your tears consist of mucous and oil in addition to water. The mucous helps the tear spread over the eye, while the oil helps the water to stay on your eye longer instead of evaporating. For most people with dry eyes the problem is caused by a lack of water in the tear – you still have the mucous and oil, but not enough to water to keep the eye moist.
Not Enough Tears
Your body may not be producing enough tears, or there may be environmental reasons for the lack of tears – like living in a windy area. Many older people struggle with a lack of tears, as the human body sometimes produces less as it ages. Medication side effects can also cause a reduction in the production of tears.
Common causes of dry eyes include:
- Gender – Females can find that hormonal changes lead to problems with dry eyes.
- Age – Getting older can lead to less tear production.
- Vision correction – Both long-term contact lenses wear and LASIK procedures can lead to dry eye.
- Medical conditions – Diabetes, arthritis and thyroid issues can all result in dry eye symptoms, as can eye inflammation.
Help for Your Dry Eyes
There are a number of ways we can help your dry eye symptoms. After a thorough eye exam to determine the nature of your condition, we may offer:
- Eye drops – There are a wide variety of eye drops available, both over the counter and prescription that may offer relief.
- Blocking tear ducts – If your tear ducts are draining tears too quickly, we can take steps to slow or stop the drainage.
- Treating eye conditions – We can treat any underlying eye conditions that are leading to dry eyes.
Schedule an Appointment for Dry Eye Treatment in Seattle
At SPEX in Seattle and Bellevue, we are committed to helping you have the healthiest possible vision. If you are suffering from dry eye, schedule an exam with us and we will do our best to get you relief!